Working out at home has plenty of advantages as well. You can work out at any time you want. You don’t have to worry about being late to the gym or waking up too early for it.
Also, you don’t have to pay any membership fees at your local gym. It also helps you to stick to and reach your fitness goals.
In order to find the right equipment, make sure that you know your stuff i.e. you have knowledge about the product and you know what you need. Through the buying guide mentioned below, you’ll have a crystal clear idea of all the factors you need to consider before making the purchase.
Also check out:
Best Preacher Curl Bench Buying Guide:
Commercial weight benches are much stronger as compared to those designed for home and light commercial use. Using very heavyweights on a home bench could cause a lot of damage as it is not designed to support heavyweights.
This includes the back support, the locking mechanism on FID benches, the uprights, and the J-hooks/racking pins. Make sure your bench is compatible with the weights that you plan on using.
Types of Bench
There are four main types of weight benches. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages. The types include flat benches, adjustable (FID) benches, Olympic benches, and specialty benches. You can do your research and pick the one that you find suitable for yourself.
Benches come in a variety of sizes. Flat benches are small and compact, whereas Olympic benches are much bigger in size.
Measure the area beforehand and make sure your bench fits the available area so that there is enough space around it for safe and burdenless use.
With Olympic and specialty benches, don’t forget to consider the length of the barbell.
Lighter benches are easier to move and are often cheaper to buy, but they are not as sturdy and well built.
Lightweight benches work well for home and light commercial use however, they may not be strong enough to handle heavyweights in a commercial setting.
Back Support Width and Length
Some benches have wider or longer back supports than others which proves to be very helpful. A narrow backrest wouldn’t be problematic for females and teenagers but could cause problems for bigger exercisers, especially with heavy weight lifting. For tall people, longer benches are generally more useful.
It’s commonly observed that some FID benches are prone to wobbling. This could be discomforting when lifting heavyweights. Good quality FID benches will be much more stable and useful than other cheaper alternatives. Flat and Olympic benches are usually quite sturdy as there are no moving parts.
Olympic benches commonly have quite wide uprights which implies that they can only be used with Olympic bars, usually 2.2 metres long. This ensures that the inner collars are outside the uprights, making it quite easy to add or remove plates.
Fitness-type barbells make it much harder to add or remove weight plates as they are much shorter.
Most benches have a set height and are not adjustable. For most exercises, you should plant your feet firmly on the floor for added stability.
If you have to stretch in order to reach the floor, you might run the risk of hyperextending or damaging your lower back, which could result in injury or an awkward exercise position.
Weight benches should be manufactured with firm but comfortable padding. If the padding is too thick or too soft, the bench might feel unstable, especially when you’ll be using heavy weights.
Also, the padding should neither compress nor distort with repeated use. However, very hard padding could also be uncomfortable.
Make sure that the padding is covered with strong, easy-to-clean material. Stress points should also be reinforced to increase the longevity of the equipment.
If you’re going to use your bench for heavy weight lifting make sure that the pads and the covering are removable for easy repair or replacement.
Weight benches can stand a lot of weight and they should be built to last. Powder-coated frames are usually preferred over painted frames as they are more impact-resistant and will stay looking good for longer.
Although, painted frames are comparatively cheaper and easier to “touch up” to repair chips.
Versatility vs. Specialty
Flat as well as FID benches can provide a wide range of exercises. They can also be used to train the upper and lower body if combined with a power rack or Smith machine, with barbells, dumbbells, or in conjunction with a cable machine.
Olympic benches and specialty benches are comparatively way less versatile.
Some home-use FID benches are also able to add things like preacher curl, leg extension, and leg curl attachments. They might even feature a built-in squat rack and dipping bars. These additions definitely provide you with a lot more exercise variety.
However, this type of bench is not designed for very heavy weights and could cause problems with heavyweights. So, make sure to know what YOU need.
Now that you have a crystal clear idea of the things you need to look for, here are our top ten Best Preacher Curl Benches.
10 Best Preacher Curl Bench:
After using this bench, I was surely not disappointed. It was sturdy as well as comfortable. It has a maximum weight capacity of 330 lbs. which is ideal if you lift heavyweights. It also provided the support necessary for holding weights. Adjustable height was also a huge plus as well.
Since it is manufactured from heavy-duty industrial high-quality steel, it is strong as well as durable. It is able to support your weight along with the dumbbells. It also features a compact design and floor protection.
With this bench, you won’t have to worry about its longevity and durability. It also offers a full-body workout option. You can work your core, chest, arms, legs, shoulders, and abdominal muscles through this bench.
- Material: steel
- Product Size: 74x90x75-92cm /29.1×35.4×29.5-36.2in
- Adjustable height: it offers five levels of height, so, you can adjust it according to your height. It ranges from 29.5 inches to 36.2 inches.
- Soft and comfortable: this bench is designed with two thick cushions that ensure stability and comfort.
- Full body workout: you can strengthen and build your entire body muscles through this bench.
This icon health bench stands out due to a number of reasons. It offers multiple bench incline positions which is great for added comfort and support. It can be set to flat, 30, 45, and 90 degrees.
It is pretty easy to assemble and didn’t take a lot of time. The instructions are very straightforward. The parts themselves are made of high-quality material. I noticed that the bench is solid and definitely supports heavyweights.
It is not designed for commercial use but it will work very well at home. All in all, it’s a good bench and I definitely recommend it.
- Product Dimensions: 65 x 49.5 x 73 inches
- Product weight: 60 pounds
- Multiple incline positions: it offers multiple incline positions which is great for adjustment.
- 6 foam leg developers: they provide added comfort and support.
- Removable curl yoke: you can transform your bench through this feature.
This bench was quite impressive. The assembly was fairly easy and instructions were pretty clear as well. It is able to stand up to 330 lbs. of weight which works pretty well for a home gym.
After using this bench, I observed a couple of things. It is made of high-quality material, so it will last a long time. It felt strong, however, pretty easy to use. The bench did not cause any discomfort at all. It is built with two thick soft and comfortable cushions.
5 different levels of adjustable height came in great handy when I wanted the bench to match my height. Overall, it was a great experience and I definitely recommend this bench.
- Product size: 74x90x75-92cm /29.1×35.4×29.5-36.2in
- 5 levels of adjustable height: it allows you to adjust the height of your bench according to you.
- 330 lbs. Weight capacity: it is able to lift and support weight up to 330 lbs.
- Smooth design: smooth design enables ease of usage.
This Olympic bench offers a lot of cool features. It has a 6 roll leg developer which is ideal to build and develop your quads, hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors, basically your entire lower body. Usually, benches are used for building your biceps but this bench offers a lot more than that.
Adjustable safety spotters enable a safe, effective workout. They are 9.5 inches in size and support you during bench press and lower body workouts. The most amazing feature of this bench is that it can support weight up to 600 lbs. with a 300 lbs. user weight capacity and 300 lbs. weight set limit.
Its detachable curl yoke allows it to attach to the bench in order to develop a stronger, more defined upper body. You can also remove it when you’re ready to switch gears and work out on the leg developer station.
- Product Dimensions: 45 x 23 x 15 inches
- 600 lbs. weight capacity: it is able to stand up to 600 lbs. of weight thus making it extra good.
- Extra comfort: preacher pad not only isolates your biceps and forearms, it also ensures proper exercise form as well as added comfort.
Marcy is a pretty well-known brand and it was successful in satisfying us. This bench particularly was quite interesting. It had a lot of unique features. Its foldable design was intriguing as it saved a lot of space. It also had the feature to remove or adjust the arm curl pad.
It provided extra comfort during the workout as its foam Covered rollers offered maximum support while training. It also offers a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty. This bench is ideal for people with small stature. Taller people may find it hard to work with this bench. All in all, it’s a pretty good equipment for any home gym.
- Product Dimensions: 68.8 x 29.2 x 63.8 inches
- Folds for easy storage: when not in use, this bench can easily be folded to save up space.
- Full body workout: it’s unique build offers a full-body workout, like a mini gym.
- Heavy-duty build: this bench guarantees solid construction as it is made of a durable steel frame.
This equipment definitely raised the bar high. Its most outstanding feature was its sturdiness. It is incredibly sturdy, however, it takes a while to assemble.
It took over 1 hour to fully assemble it. But, once it is assembled, it’s of great quality. It features Olympic grade steel and stability. It works with the Olympic sized bar, so make sure you have one to use with this, otherwise, you won’t get much use out of it. It also takes up plenty of room in it’s unfolded state, so make sure you have space.
Overall, it is a great equipment for home gym and proved to be very sturdy.
- Unit Weight: 67lbs
- Foldable design: it’s a foldable model ideal for saving space.
- Versatile: this bench offers a variety of exercises like squats, weightlifting, leg curls, barbell dumbbells, and sit-ups that work on your entire body.
- Durable: made with highest quality material, it will last you a long time.
7- Merax Weight Bench with Leg Extension – 6+3 Positions Adjustable Olympic Utility Benches with Preacher Curl
I was pretty amazed after trying this bench. It has so many cool features that are not common. It took some time to assemble but after that, it was all smooth sailing.
The equipment itself is able to stand 550 lbs. proving to be quite sturdy. It supports standard as well as Olympic sized weights. Its safety foam rollers also make sure that you are secure in place while performing reps. This adjustable workout bench offers 6+3 positions for accurate positioning while also ensuring maximum stability during your training.
Flat incline decline weight bench with preacher curl and leg developer helps to develop upper as well as lower body. Overall, this will make a great addition to your home gym and I highly recommend it.
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 4 x 4 inches
- Product weight: 60 pounds
- 550 lbs.s weight capacity: it is able to stand and support up to 550 lbs.
- Adjustable preacher curl bench: it allows preacher curl attachment for a personalized workout routine.
- Multipurpose: this bench is able to provide you with a full-body workout.
This bench was fairly easy to assemble and took around 15 minutes. I tried using different weights with it to see how it works. I had a couple of concerns.
It would work well for someone with a small stature. If you’re someone who is tall, this bench might not be ideal for you. One thing that I noticed is that it started wobbling with added weights. This could also be due to my exceeding the weight limit.
The cushions and padding were pretty comfortable and provided extra support. To sum up, it’s a good bench and would work pretty well in a home gym.
- Product Dimensions: 2 x 2 x 0.1 inches
- Product weight: 32.7 pounds
- Added comfort: this bench features a 2” thick cushion for a comfortable workout. It also has an extra-wide & thick top quality padding.
- Six position adjustment: it allows rest pull-pins and knobs for adjustments.
- 440 lbs. Weight capacity: it is able to stand and support weight upto 440 lbs.
The Weider XRS 20 Olympic Workout Bench offers a ton of neat features. This equipment is designed for extended workouts and is without a doubt, quite sturdy.
There are so many cool features that make this equipment irresistible. It was pretty easy to assemble and didn’t require a lot of time. After assembly, I tried to do different workouts using this bench, and honestly, it was quite satisfying.
Not only was I able to perform a number of exercises, but i was also able to work my entire body which felt amazing. This equipment is like a mini home gym and is very fulfilling. I definitely recommend you buy this product.
- Product dimensions: 65″ H x 49.5″ W x 73″ L
- Adjustable utility bench: this bench is quite versatile and can be used separately or moved out of the way, allowing you to do squats and other exercises without any problem.
- Adjustable uprights and safety spotters: adjustable uprights allow a number of positions for various exercises and comfort levels compatible with your body.
- 610 lbs. Weight limit: it has a maximum user weight of 300 lbs. And supports a maximum total weight of 610 lbs.
10- Adjustable 90°Flat Bench Training Bench for Full Body Workout Multifunctional Foldable Fitness Flat Bench
This adjustable flat bench made it to the list because of a number of reasons. It works very smoothly and doesn’t cause unnecessary discomfort.
This equipment is able to stand a maximum of 300 lbs. It has a unique triangular support structure that allows it to do so. You can easily adjust 7 backrest pad positions and 5 elbow pad positions through the 2-position front leg adjustment function to meet all your needs when exercising.
The backrest can also be adjusted from a 90-degree to 180-degree tilt angle which makes it quite versatile. Overall, it will work pretty well at home.
- Shipping Weight: 36.7 pounds
- Adjustable bench: this bench offers a lot of flexibility and is quite adjustable. It features 7 adjustable backrests ranging from 14 cm to 112 cm. It also features 5 adjustable elbow pad positions for added comfort.
- Foldable design: its foldable design allows easy storage and doesn’t require a lot of space.
I hope that through this guide you have a crystal clear idea of all the factors that you need to consider while making the purchase. I’ve tried to cover all the important aspects of the buying guide.
The list includes the best preacher curl benches that set the bar high. If you get the chance, it’s always good to test the equipment yourself before making the purchase.